Plant your own edible window box
Window boxes are a good way of growing herbs and vegetables even if you don’t have a garden. Get tips on what to put in your window box with our video.
What to plant in a window box
- Get inspiration for what to grow by having a look at seed catalogues. It’s fun doing this with friends, and seed catalogues are free.
- Why not pick a theme for your window box, for example a Mediterranean garden or a Mexican garden? That's a good way to get kids interested. You could try peppers, aubergines or tomatoes along with herbs like basil – all great toppings for a pizza. Or add chilli peppers for a bit of a kick.
How to plant up your window box
- You don’t necessarily need to buy a window box; you can recycle containers such as big ice cream tubs. Poke holes in the bottom so that the water can drain away.
- Add a few special ingredients to your compost: water retention granules, which swell up when you water the container and then slowly release the moisture; and slow release fertilizer, which keeps feeding the plants throughout summer.
- Give each plant enough room to spread out, placing taller plants at the back of the tub.
- Water the container well before you put it outside.
- Continue to water regularly and check for snails and slugs under the leaves and around the rim of the container.
- Enjoy harvesting your herbs and vegetables throughout the summer!